Friday, June 13, 2008

Father's Day

May I first remind the reader, that to me, Father's Day is not about being a father as much as having a father - and that makes it a celebration for everyone: man, woman, boy, or girl because we all have one.

(At this point, I take personal privilege and say to my dad, "Happy Father's Day! I love youl! Thank you for your sacrifices all through the years of my life, as well as your love and support. May God continue to bless you and mother.")

Now I do realize that some do not have good fathers. I remember many years ago after a sermon as a guest preacher in a former church, that a man approached me with the pain his wife felt because of an abusive father. I recognize that this is painful to the heart of God as it blasphemes the nature that He has chosen to identify Himself.

Thankfully for the fatherless, and for those who have father's who do not deserve respect, we all do have a Father - He who is the Perfect Father: loving, kind, merciful, and full of grace while also exercising discipline toward His children out of His great love for us.

So at this point, I thankfully wish our God and Father, a Happy Father's Day!

-------

This Sunday at First Baptist Church of Jefferson, Georgia, we will celebrate not just the gift of father's, but the Father of us all, and recognize that we have a responsibility to follow the example of our godly ancestors as well as provide a godly example for those who come after us. Rev. Bruce Fields, Associate Minister at First Baptist Church, Gainesville, Georgia will preach on "What's a Father to Do?" using the text of Ephesians 6:1-4. May God have His way with each of us as we seek to follow our Lord's perfect example.

Blessing,
Richard

No comments:

Dilemma in Music Ministry

In church music, we basically live from Sunday to Sunday, and, in my case, Wednesday to Wednesday for rehearsals. There is the planning and ...