Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day

For my mother: I love you! I appreciate you so much, not only for what you did for me as a child and youth, but your continued prayers, love, and support through my adulthood.

For my mother-in-law: Though departed, I love you for bringing my wife into this world and seeking to raise her to be the fine lady that she is today.

Mother's Day IS a day to honor our mothers (not the mothers among us, but our own personal mothers).

Far too often it appears that Mother's Day is about mothers: I am a mother, you are not a mother. By doing so, I fear we miss the point of the day. For me, it's not about whether or not you are a mother, but that I have a mother ... and you have a mother.

When the day degenerates into a celebration of motherhood, then pain results for those who have not been able to be mothers, or for those who have lost their children either in childbirth, childhood, youth, or even later in life.

I can celebrate and you can celebrate because we all have a mother. Be grateful for her and bless her!

* * * * * * *


This Sunday, our stated theme at First Baptist Church of Jefferson is "The Faith of a Mother."

We will give praise to God for the beauty and greatness of all His creation, especially parent (mother) and child - family. We will also sing of the wonderful legacy of those who have or have had a mother of faith.

We also recognize that mothers, like all of us, need for our Lord to deal in and work through each of our lives, especially as the choir sings "Lord Jesus, Think on Me," a simple but wonderful prayer anthem.

Together, we wil acknowledge our need for faith and the importance it plays in our lives.

So, as we gather, each in our respective house of worship, may we seek to grow in our faith and our walk with our Lord. May we honor the Lord who has been good and given each of us a mother.

- If you are a mother, be all you can be in the Lord!

- If you are not a mother, be all you can be in the Lord!

Thank You, Lord, for my mother!!

Happy Mother's Day!

Blessings,
Richard

No comments:

Dilemma in Music Ministry

In church music, we basically live from Sunday to Sunday, and, in my case, Wednesday to Wednesday for rehearsals. There is the planning and ...